Polyptych by Crivelli in the Church of Sant'Agostino in Torre di Palme (FM)
A 5-minute drive from our village, in the enchanting village of Torre di Palme (FM) , there is the late Gothic church of Sant'Agostino , founded between the 13th and 15th centuries and renovated in 1738.
The highlight of the church of Sant'Agostino is the altarpiece located behind the altar. A riot of enamelled colors, enhanced by the gold background that truly leaves you amazed. The painting is 2.37 meters high and 2.50 meters wide and was commissioned to Vittore Crivelli , younger brother of the better known Carlo, at the end of the 15th century by the Prior of the Augustinians precisely for the church of Sant'Agostino.
The work was stolen at the beginning of the 70s, in fact four panels were missing and have never been found again. They recovered the others which show the Risen Christ, with the cruciferous banner among the Twelve Apostles, in an abandoned church near the cemetery of nearby Cupra Marittima.